Saturday, February 17, 2007

Catalina Highway

I've been toying with an idea for a while now ... ever since I discovered the on-line book publisher (vanity press), Blurb. I'd like to do an extended photo essay slash "coffee table book" about the Catalina Highway, the road that runs from Tuscon on the Sonoran Desert floor to Summerhaven at the top of the Catalina Mountains.


The Catalina Highway

Actually, I think I've had the idea longer than that. If you check the history tab on Catalina Highway article on Wikipedia linked above you'll see that I'm the original author*.

The working title for the book is "Mexico to Canada In Less Than an Hour".


Going Up Country

The hard part is getting motivated before the sun comes up to hit the road to catch the sunrise among the mountain crags. But the changes in ecology along the 40 mile stretch of the highway are amazing.


The Sentinels

I talk about the project a lot. I think I'm hoping to back myself into a corner with no way out except to actually do the work involved.



* For what it's worth, I've written/originated several articles on Wikipedia. You can find them listed on my Wikipedia profile page.



No comments: