Spoken like a true conservative who lives in a vacuum.
The answer is relatively simple. If you don't:
- the housing market will collapse
- along with all the lenders, spreading to the entire financial community
- your house will become worth even less than it is today, crushing your net worth
- the country will spiral into a depression
- your life savings will disappear as a result of inflation that seems to ba a part of this particular cycle
- your company will close its doors and you'll loose your job because nobody is buying what they're selling and they can't get a loan to bridge out of the bad times because the financial institutions collapsed
But then you voted for candidates who promoted tax cuts while borrowing to cover the shortfalls. You voted for candidates who favored no regulation on business instead of reasonable regulations. If anyone was irresponsible, it was you ... at the very least, you're included on the list of those who were. All because you live in a vacuum and think that YOUR actions have no consequences. Only the other guy's actions have consequences! You helped create this mess with you attitudes and your "me first" philosophy, so you can jolly well grin and bear it while you help us all get out of this set of unfortunate circumstances.