Friday, April 20, 2007

Rehersing for the Impeachment Hearings

In a rare nod to reality, Republicans comment on AG Gonzales' testimony.

"Mr. Attorney General, most of this is a stretch," said Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.).

"Why is your story changing?" demanded Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa).

"Significantly, if not totally, at variance with the facts," said Arlen Specter (Pa.), the committee's ranking Republican.

"Really deplorable," said John Cornyn (R-Tex.).

They could paint a far broader picture with THAT brush and still be coloring within the lines.

Explaining his role in the botched firing of federal prosecutors, Gonzales uttered the phrase "I don't recall" and its variants ("I have no recollection," "I have no memory") 64 times. Along the way, his answer became so routine that a Marine in the crowd put down his poster protesting the Iraq war and replaced it with a running "I don't recall" tally.

Take Gonzales's tally along with that of his former chief of staff, who uttered the phrase "I don't remember" 122 times before the same committee three weeks ago, and the Justice Department might want to consider handing out Ginkgo biloba in the employee cafeteria.


More here ...

See also:
  • I don't remember seeing that in the Constitution.
  • I don't remember torture being against the law in the United States.
  • I don't remember if the provisions of the Geneva Conventions apply to us.
  • I don't recall there being a panel of judges empowered to grant expedited warrants in national security issues.

No comments: