Friday, May 02, 2008

A Conversation with an Air Head

ModelMayhem is a legitimate site for photographers and models to find each other. The listing of models and photographers contains many very serious and talented types. but on both sides of the camera one can sometimes find a vacuum. The following started with a new listing in the Tucson area. My assumption was three part: 1.) She listed herself as a model and therefore was interested in modeling assignments; 2.) She is local so a local assignment would be attractive to her; 3.) my on-line portfolio contains about 70 images that demonstrate I have a certain skill level, one that is significantly more polished than the 4 snapshots she has in hers. Each photograph in my portfolio has a model credit and a link to their portfolios (which incidentally has a site email link so people on the site can communicate with each other) so my references are very easily checked so that one can find out that I really am who I say I am and I do what I say I do with no funny business in between.

So, without further ado, I wrote to the newbie model:

Welcome aboard, neighbor! I see you're in Tucson. I'm on the far east side - like abut a 1/2 mile off XXXXXXXX Rd., not far from XXXXXXX XXXXX Park.

Check my portfolio here on MM ...
Check my Casting notice ... (either by going to Casting on the menu above or by following the link from my MM page) - I'm looking for people interested in doing some lingerie and/or swim wear shots ...

Then ... if you're interested in working together
Check my references (their names and MM numbers are all over my MM pages) ... I'll be happy to provide a list if you like.

Once you get a little feed back from some of the people I've worked with, hit me up ... I'd like to work with you. I think I might be able to do some things that would expand your portfolio in a positive way ... and I think you could be helpful to me, as well.

Best of luck.
Let me know.

J


I thought I was pretty clear, particularly to a newbie, about what she needed to do to make something happen. Look at my work, if you like it then check my references. If my references don't scare the poop outa ya then tell me you'd like to work something out ... and we will. The implication is also that if you don't like my work or my references aren't to your satisfaction, either say "no thanks" or ignore this message. There's ample precedent for both of those options. So, she responded:

Thank you for the shout, I'm always interested in expanding my portfolio and would likely be interested in working with you.

Just let me know, I have to plan all my modeling around a full-time job and so often have problems keeping dates in order. Regardless, let me know--


"Likely be interested"? "Let me know"? I hate dealing with air heads! So, in a fit of pique, I wrote back:

Not sure what I need to let you know.

The casting notice (or a look at my front page - little box right under the bit about me) says I'm looking for lingerie / swim wear at the moment. I think I mentioned it in my not above, too.

I work for myself so my schedule is flexible and I can probably work around your full time commitment.

My references are all over my pages ... names and MM numbers so you can verify that I am who I say I am and I do what I say I do. I'd check them for you if I could but I don't think that would be really acceptable. Better you check photographers references independently.

Not sure what else there might be. If you can tell me what I need to let you know ... I'll probably let you know by return e-mail. So, help me out here ... let me know what I need to let you know so I can let you know.

J


My original response .. the one I didn't send ... was less gentle.

No comments: