Saturday, February 10, 2007

Just the News

Its Saturday morning and today's news isn't any better than yesterday's news. It might even be incrementally worse. It's hard to tell sometimes.

My hope is that there is a bright future ahead but my fear is that we've seen the high point and it's downhill from here.

On one hand, I've been watching an ecological disaster since Rachel Carson's "Silent Spring" in the 1960s. The culmination of that death watch is Gore's "Inconvenient Truth" and the latest pronouncement by the scientific community by way of the UN's IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change) that its a 90% certainty that man has tied the nose around his own neck and now tap dancing blind folded on the edge of a cliff.

On the other hand, I've watched the Bush administration lie, cheat and misrepresent reality in international affairs, in domestic policy, and in energy policy.

More damage has been done in the last 6 years than I can remember seeing .. or even reading about .. since the Second World War.

Steven Hawking is a pretty bright guy. He seems to think the only hope for man-kind is to hit the bricks and find another planet ... and start all over again. I wonder if he isn't right. I wonder if we've gone too far and this planet is headed for the scrap heap.

My consolation is that, by the time all this sh!# really hits the fan, I'll be dead.

Keep a happy thought.



No comments: