Friday, January 23, 2009

Syracuse China and the Forgotten City



by Nancy Snow

Last semester I took a position at the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications. It is located at Syracuse University in Syracuse, New York. Syracuse is part of the Finger Lakes Region and not too far from the Adirondack Mountains. In certain seasons it is quite glorious. Lately it's been a bit too cold and snowy for much socializing but today it was a balmy 38 degrees and I left my winter jacket unbuttoned.

We are a month into winter and have already become the frontrunner in the New York State Golden Snowball Award Contest with record-snowfall of over 109 inches, or nearly 50 inches more than this time last season (http://www.goldensnowball.com/). The winner receives a trophy, not condolences. Actually if you love winter sports, this is a Winter Wonderland. I haven't yet bought my cross-country skis or my snowshoes yet, but there are still two months to go before I see spring so I still have time to shop.

All of this is just an informational aside to a city that is not just being dumped on by snow but also by missed economic opportunities.

... read the rest after the click.

My comment: I was born and raised in Syracuse, NY - born at St. Joseph's Hospital, as a matter of fact. I spent a couple semesters at Syracuse University. I worked for Bristol Labs. The fathers and mothers of my friends worked at Syracuse China, General Electric, Carrier, Lamson, Chrysler and the New York Central Rail Road. I left Syracuse some 40 years ago. I've been back a number of times since. I still have relatives there. It's sad to watch your home town die ... even from a distance.

No comments: