Thursday, November 15, 2007

What I think it takes

In some quarters, party loyalty has trumped common sense. It happens on both sides of the aisle. It's what keeps me independent and suspicious of party politics - and allows me to always be throwing stones at the party in power without feeling I might be compromising my loyalty ... because, ya see, power really does corrupt. Always has, always will.

I believe the only "side" one should be on is the side of "We, the people". Both parties forget that on occasion. The Constitution is my guide - as it was written - not as some would re-write it. When that happens we end up with government abuse and that must be fought, tooth and nail.

Read the first ten amendments of the Constitution. They have one thing in common - and only one thing. Each is designed to protect the individual from the power of government - to protect the minority from the power of the majority.

I believe the Constitution of the United States of America is the single most brilliant, insightful and beautiful document in the history of politics, human relations and governance. I am very much against anyone who wants to monkey with it. My anger increases exponentially with their desire to alter it. The current administration has me absolutely livid!

We can disagree on virtually everything, but as long as we agree on the rules of disagreement ... and those rules are set down in the Constitution ... we can live together, work together, make progress together and even be friends.

No comments: