Thursday, June 07, 2007

By their fruits they shall be known

Tom Delay and the Upside of Adultery
Robert J. Elisberg

The difference between Tom Delay's adultery and that of Newt Gingrich, Mr. Delay told the New Yorker, "'is that I was no longer committing adultery by that time, the impeachment trial. There's a big difference.' He added, 'Also, I had returned to Christ and repented my sins by that time.'"

Reading the quote, I initially decided to move past it and refrain from comment. This was not because of any sense of moral superiority. Rather, my head was spinning so fast that I couldn't type correctly. However, after a week's respite, the pressure inside my head had built up so much I was sure it would explode.

You have to keep something in mind when reading about the Amazing Battling Adulterers. Tom Delay was the Republican House Majority Leader before being forced to resign. Newt Gingrich was Republican Speaker of the House before being forced to resign.

It's not like these were two Yooha's, sitting on the back porch, spittin' and swapping tales about who's the biggest adulterer of the womenfolk. (Okay, it is, but that's not the point.) These two fellows were who the Republican Party itself chose to lead them. They are who Republicans wanted to be its face. And apparently another body part.

The rest of the read here ...

(Robert J. Elisberg has been a commentator and contributor to such publications as the Los Angeles Times, Los Angeles Daily News, Los Angeles Magazine, C/NET and E! Online, and served on the editorial board for the Writers Guild of America.)

Now ... talk to me about Bill, if you would ... please ... Explain to me again how he was so much more morally bankrupt than those who were out to get him.

No comments: