Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Let's Review

I probably said it before but ... what the heck ... I'll say it again ...

I think we were perhaps the lucky generations, those of us who were born in the 40s and 50s, came of age during the 60s and 70s, experienced our prime in the 80s and 90s ...

Now we get to witness the downfall of great society:
  • Personal freedoms are under attack
  • The intellectual aspirations are being undermined by superstition
  • Hope has been replaced by petty fears and xenophobia
  • Scientific inquiry is being stifled by religious dogma and
  • the politics of democratic pluralism is being replaced by a Big Brother totalitarian schema.
We are facing a new Dark Age.

Orwell was right in everything but his timing ... he was a pessimist, imagining it would have all been over twenty years ago... but then EVERYTHING costs more and takes longer than one imagines on the way in.

My money is on China and India (literally). It's becoming harder and harder to invest in the corruption of American corporations - though I've placed what I believe are some sure bets on segments of the Military-Industrial Complex Eisenhower warned us about.

Australia and New Zealand are looking better and better as a place to dig in for the golden years ... though I think nostalgia gets in the way of making the move.

No comments: