Thursday, January 08, 2009

21

I picked up this little piece along the way this morning:
George W. Bush is about to destroy a cherished tradition at '21.' "We've hosted every sitting president since FDR, but GWB hasn't been here in his eight years," a source at famed eatery told us. "Everybody around him - Dick Cheney, Laura Bush, Barbara and Jenna, Karl Rove, Condi Rice and George H.W. and Barbara Bush - has made it." Dubya did eat at '21' when he was governor of Texas, but that doesn't count.
My comment: It reminded me of an incident that happened some twenty plus years ago when I was director of sales and marketing for a Japanese import label. I received a note on classy stationary asking if it would be possible to obtain an obscure CD that the label had released some years before. It was still in the US catalog but it was far from a "best seller". I went to the warehouse and pulled a copy, packaged it up with a brief note and sent it out "gratis" ... to the matre d' at "21".

Several days later I received a note in return, thanking me profusely for going out of my way to answer the request and inviting me to bring several friends for dinner "on the house".

"21" lives up to the legends. The service was spectacular and the food was out of this world. (And I couldn't have afforded it any other way.)



The moral of the story? Take care of people and they'll take care of you ... sometimes returning the favor ten times over ... literally.

No comments: